Thursday, May 5, 2022

FB "When learning something new like a #naturalbuilding skill... start with something small "



When learning anything new...like a #naturalbuilding skill...I always recommend to start with something small.  I call it a "potholder project".  The reason is that when I was young, I wanted to learn to knit.  A sweater.  Mom wise mom suggested starting with a potholder.  But I would have none of it.  I wanted to start with a sweater.  So she let me.  And I learned how to knit...by the end of the sweater.  But the result was unwearable because I started off with tight stitches (so one arm is wee) and then got into my groove and looser stitches as I went (so one arm is quite long and bell-shaped).  But I learned to knit.  If I had started with the potholder, I would also have been able to wear the sweater at the end!

So...listen to my mom's sage advice:  start with a potholder.  A cob oven.  A chicken coop.  A dog house.  A shed.  A kid's fort.  A bike storage shed.  Anything that it's ok if it goes horribly wrong.  Ok that the beginning is not quite right...and you only find your groove near the end.  Something that you can safely have your learning curve.

<3

#potholderproject #learningcurve #startwithsomethingsmall #learnbyfailure #cob #buildnaturally

No comments:

Post a Comment